photography

photography

Saturday, October 26

Fall Flavors: Quick Protein Dinner


Turkey, Kale + Sweet Potato.


It only took me 21 years to discover how freakin' amazing kale is. 

Could be cause I didn't even know about it's existence for at least 19 of those years. 
And for those that I did, I was intimidated by it. Yep, intimidated by rough green leafage. Scary I know. 

But then came a smoothie phase, where kale was the essential ingredient for a 3-day detox.
No, I didn't last the full 72 hours because I enjoy the act of chewing a little too much. 
Well, and not having my stomach growl so loud my sister could hear it through closed-doors. 

Anyways, so began my relationship with kale! And so inspired this little mash-up I threw together for dinner after night class. 

All that I did was ...

1) Toss some leftover dark turkey meat in coconut oil on the frying pan, very low heat!

2) Chop into biteable pieces one sweet potato, my other love, for an essential POP of color. 
(Just zap in the microwave for about 5 minutes and then roast the in the oven for a remaining 20.)

3) Tear up a few ruffled kale leaves, chop them up into fair chunks
(leaving out the stiff backbone, as it tends to be more bitter)

4) Toss everything in seasonings, and throw back in the frying pan on medium heat.
(kale should start to wilt, sweet potatoes should have a crisp outer edge, don't dry out the turkey!)


For seasonings: 
As I mentioned, I used coconut oil for frying. I try to do this as often as I can.
I massaged the kale in extra-virgin olive oil.
Sprinkled everything with garlic-flaked pepper & cracked sea salt. 

And that's all! 
So simple, and so good. And so warm. And so colorful. 

happy fall feasting, friends.

Nutritional Bonuses: 
* Dark Meat - higher caloric count, but higher counts of iron/zinc/B-vitamins
* Sweet Potatoes - rich in beta-carotene, vitamins C/E
* Kale - antioxidants; anti-inflammatory nutrients; anti-cancer nutrients; high in fiber, vitamin K/A/C, iron


 What are your favorite fall foods?







No comments:

Post a Comment